10 Nov 2012

Match

There are two steams of thought in medical ethics.

One is Utilitarianism, which assumes that the right thing to do in society is to maximize the overall benefits. That means, with limited resources, we'd better provide the medical care to the people who will benefit the most, rather than who suffer the most. Let's say, we have but one kid who suffered from severe asthma, and one old fragile man who suffered from severe COPD. When we have only one ICU bed, we will incline to admit the kid because he is going to benefit the most from our intensive care. Our measurement is based on the result but not the people we treat.

Other one is Kantianism, which thinks that the goal of every medical decision should not be based on the societal benefit, but out of the respect of every patient. Thus, from our previous example, we can argued that we should treat the old man because he might have contributed a lot to his family.

So every coin has two sides. Despite our usual practice that is based on Utilitarianism. It is perfectly fine if you can justify yourself to become a Kantian and treat the old man. Of course, I do not judge that which is better than which in this case.

I, therefore, can conclude that losing the special isn't at all a pain. I should feel pain if I lost someone that matches with me. But she is right at the start did not match with me, and in the end will not be with me. I'd better save all my tears when I find the right one and laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment