17 Jul 2012

Warfare


To tell you the truth, our surgical ward is nothing but a warfare between diseases and our doctors. Sometimes patients will join. Sometimes not.

We always recruit new soldiers for the fight every July. This year, I have the final chance to learn from this people so I can become one of them, in I have the luck to pass the examination.

There are something that I can see from two particular soldiers. I call them A and Qwerty.

A is a careful person with in sight. He knew that, being the lowest level of the food chain, what he had to do is to avoid mistakes and obey the ideas from the seniors and nurses. Apparently he was not some brains, but it is the most critical surviving skills (as it usually is in this world).

What he has is common sense (which is most important). One patient, after a day of sips of water, was not having nausea or vomiting in the morning. I suggested to Dr. A that he might step up the diet to fluid diet. But he said: I think so, but it is best ordered by my senior!

Another one is called Qwerty. He was a very knowledgeable soldier. However, what he lacked was what doctors were expected: patience. One patient, after a day of sips of water, had vomited 100ml of water and still felt nauseous. Despite the symptoms, our Dr. Qwerty still went to give order fluid diet to the patient.

I shall not elaborate who is who, and predict will be a better doctor in the future.

一葉知秋,見微知著。

No comments:

Post a Comment