28 Nov 2011

Perfection

I realize that usually every Friday night a RTHK programme will talk about philosophy. Of course I was not able to listen to it when I was still work hard for the revision, but I took time to get the audio clips and listen to it during transit time.

One time I had a chance to listen to Dr. Tao, an associate professor of philosophy from our university. By chance I happened to attend a summer course of which he was the lecturer. The old days were always memorable. I love his teaching. I seldom see the wit and the wisdom from the professors from the science stream.

The topic was the limitation of human being. He said, when we were born we were not able to be something, i.e. we could be born in different places at the same time. And diseases and ageing would limit our life, which was quite easy to understand.

And then it went on talking about the ideas of lovers (this topic had been covered last week by Prof. Cheung, however, they just loved to talk about it. May be it really manifests the romance of love). Who is the ideal? Who is THE one?

In fact we realize that the perfection has nowhere to find in this world. Everyone is limited, the idea of lover is just somewhere in our imagination. No wonder, Albert said imagination is more important than knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment