22 Nov 2011

Comparison

Today I had two stunning findings in QEH where I had my paediatrics rotation.

The first thing was undoubtedly, the dextrocardia from a very active kid. What a shame that I did not get the touch of his apex beat at the right side. What a shame! It could be the only time to get it at the right. And despite that I felt good auscultating the heart sound at the right sound. Brilliant.

The second thing was I had a bedside teaching with the students from our sister school. The students were year five and had a bedside with a paediatrician in the neonatal ward. It was a valuable experience. You know what, the bedside was different entirely with ours. It was not spoon-feeding, which I dislike. It was 100% the Socrates method: the doctor asked, and the students replied, followed by the challenges by the doctor again.

The students were much more knowledge than I was. Also, they were so much capable in answering the questions systematically. I was too dumb when I stood with them. One case I was the one to perform a physical examination, everyone noticed the abnormality but I was the one who stood knowing nothing.

It was not that I didn't learn anything. It was that I didn't really be observant.

This was really alarming because I felt that in year four the learning curve was not promising. I think I will not improve a lot finishing the year four. If I looked like what I was today in year five, I would not be able to compete with the students across the harbour.

The out-visit really benefited me.

No comments:

Post a Comment