8 Apr 2012

Quality

One of the target that I want to achieve in this 4-week medical elective is not just having more experiences about Surgery, but also to eat something more spicy than the food in Wing Lin Store in Yuen Long.

Today I had a chance to taste some real Indian foods in the Little India district in this city. Little India, as the name implied, was a little region where many Hindu in this country lived. When I arrived, it was already six o'clock and the people started going back to their homes and attending the temples. Therefore, there were songs from the temples that you could hear in every corner of the district.

I intended to choose a restaurant where local people would have their dinner. You know, whenever a restaurant opt to do business with tourists, they will adjust the taste for these eaters. I went there, asking for the most spicy food. The waiter smiled and grabbed some chicken and rice, altogether with the sauces   over a paper on the dish. "What about sitting here and have the food?" He was always polite.

And then I started to dine. "Nothing so spicy at all." I initially thought to myself. Seeing there was some more spices on the table, I intended to add some more over my dish. One other waiter came, trying to convince me: The spices at your dish is already enough. It would not be better if you add more."

I was puzzled. This time, I put the sauce slowly into my mouth. I realized the magic of it. There were so many ingredients in the sauce and it would be only possible if you tried hard to identify: the onion, the garlic and the other materials. They were integrated to make one amazing taste that it would be impossible to notice if you only classify a sauce to be either spicy or not. It was a symphony of taste that many instruments played together differently, but under significant co-ordinations by a conductor.

Now I thought I understand more about the method that the professor of Philosopher Tao in our university applied when he listened to symphony and movie: You need to decompose the music or movie, knowing how each of them work, and then recombine them again to enjoy it.

If you just think something either spicy or not spicy, you miss a lot of tastes. Not to mention the more complex thing: life.

No comments:

Post a Comment