12 Apr 2012

Operation II


The next patient who received surgery was a kind aunt. She was quite old but looked quite energetic. She spoke good English and I could talk to her easily. She said she felt uncomfortable when eating for quite a while. The food was stuck at the stomach region: she was telling you the diagnosis.

Since the diagnosis had become quite obvious, I tried to ask about her social history. What is the importance of social history in Surgery? It mattered! According to the Professor of Psychiatry, the surgery patients are your patients. Everything about them can change the management. Also, why do I have to stop knowing about my patients?

I asked her what kind of food she loved the most. She said: every food in Hong Kong! It just touched my deepest part of my soul: I miss Hong Kong so much after staying in this country for around two weeks. I really missed there.

Go back to the surgery. I had to say: it was a complicated one. There were no seedings outside the stomach, however, the local invasion was seen and there were many fibrosis around the stomach. The surgeons took a long time to dissect the lesions. Since the operation was prolonged, we were all tired. Even the main surgeon was so stressed because of the difficulty. Sometimes the field was so messy and blood kept coming out. We were all scared that we could not protect the patient.

Luckily, with the technique of the surgeons, the lesions were taken out. The GI tract was reconnected. It gave the new life of the patient immediately. We were all excited.

I guess it was the love of surgeons. I feel the resonance. I know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment