10 Aug 2012

Order

Today I nearly made a grave mistake in the calculation for the hostel association. As a treasury, my responsibility would be keep the account safe. I nearly failed the trust from Mr. Hui.

At first I thought I made all the calculation, based on the assumption that the money we had would be similar to the money we had had a year before, which was around ten thousands.

However, I realized that I missed some vital items which could change the balance completely. For example, I did not state the complete money that I had claimed from the University, which was not a small sum of money. Also, I did not state that I had returned the money to the members of the association, which was again, not a small sum of money. At the same time, I nearly missed the point that some generous professors did sponsor our events, which was again a handful of money.

Putting it altogether did I realize there should be something more in the account. The difference could be around ten thousands. I was panicking in my room, feeling so helpless. The order that I thought to exist disappeared, and I understood what the Joker meant in The Dark Knight: 

Nobody panics when things go according to plan, even if the plans are horrifying. If I tell the press that tomorrow a gangbanger will get shot, or a truckload of soldiers will get blown up, nobody panics. But when I say one little old mayor will die, everyone loses their minds!

We built our society and our government to reduce disorders. But with these institutions and authorities, we seemed lost our ability to combat uncertainty. Even worse, we strengthened the authorities so we destroy the opportunity to change.

I suddenly reckoned how Henry Tang said when he was still a High official.

P.S.Sorry to make a lot of reference from the Batman series these days, but as I have said, I would like to devote some space to the masterpiece.


No comments:

Post a Comment