28 Mar 2012

Beethoven

Let me end the hiatus of writing.

I do not have a thought block during my study time. On the contrary, I have a flight of ideas during my revision. Unfortunately the conceptions are not really related to what I have studied this year. Using the sense of a manic patient with expansive ideas, if these ideas are really to these four specialties, I could have put my name on the distinction viva list!

The first idea comes from Beethoven. He was a really good composer, we all know it. I happened to know more about him because my roommate tried to play some classical music with his little speakers. It was not loud but it got into the heart. It did not stop you from studying but boost up the morale.

Beethoven suffered from deafness in his later twenties. But what is the cause of it? In his time no one could ever  made a definite diagnosis except from the pathologist who dissected his auditory systems, saying the inner ear was expanded.

Anyway, nothing could stop him from composing. He did not make just a few pieces but many masterpieces. The romance from Fur Elise, the door-knocking from Symphony No.5 and the heavenly chorals from the Symphony No.9 marked his career. He was a divine composer who delivered the music from the palace of God. Only in the heaven could these music be heard.

It was the Symphony No.9 which inspired me the most. I had some special memory of this because I reckoned that there was a Cantonese version for the choral part, written by James Wong. The title was called exactly 歡樂頌. I googled it but was to no avail. That was perhaps one of the most beautiful piece of music in the world to me.

The most important message to me was: he was deaf, but he created the most beautiful symphony. Impossible is nothing. There was nothing that I cannot do.

The butterfly in my mind moves its wings.


No comments:

Post a Comment