11 May 2012

Nightfood

Feeling that in the daily attachment, I did not really have a touch on the emergency cases, I decided to stay in the hospital in the night and get myself involved in the clinical management.

The Wednesday night was very tiring, as usual. There are full of events in the night, but as a exhausted and burn-out medical student, you can't possibly take over the cases. But still, I managed to take some history from patients, and investigate the problems.

The nurses are very nice to prepare nightfood for the houseman and me. She said, sit down and have the food. It was the custom to have the food, anyway. I felt much better after having the dumping and the soup. Oh. They made soups for us.

One of the nurse showed us her photos with her husband and kids. The boy looked very alike her husband and the girl herself. She said, they were twins, and she delivered them when she was 23.

And then she talked about her life as a scrub nurse in one of the university hospitals. She said, if you want to become a good surgeon, you have to go there. She praised the old surgeons there (and also the iron surgeon there). You never have a life outside, but you eventually know how to do surgery there.

That was the place I never go and perhaps will never go. Far away, so close.

No comments:

Post a Comment