25 Jun 2012

James

One day I met JC in the canteen.

He was always nice, asking me how I was going at the start of the tormenting refresher lectures. I had to tell him the truth that it was really harsh, taking me most of the time to revise. However, time was never enough.

As a very understanding person, he nodded and encouraged to me to try my best to learn. He was also a humble and true person. After all, I have seen so many people who achieve so much and then told their juniors that Medicine was easy and they should go and play. They are wrong.

Knowing that he will become an oncologist this July, I told him that it would be great to see him in the oncology ward here. "No, I will go to QEH for my career." JC replied. I was surprised. How on earth our Gold medalist would choose not to stay in this teaching hospital for academic activities?

He saw through me and went on."I can spend more time taking care of patients there."

Then I completely understand. He was not great because he knew a lot and made a James' notes for us. He was great because from the start, he knew where to go and how to get there. The key is to take care of our patients who are in need. I am sure that in the medicine interview as a EAS student, he told our professors that he wanted to take care of patients. And ever since, he stuck to this and got the momentum. He knew who he was (and he was not), recognizing strength and his weakness. Philosophy always emphasize the importance of understanding oneself (Know Thyself). He knows it entirely.

He is the glory of our medical school. I will always take his words in my mind in my career.

No comments:

Post a Comment