28 Feb 2013

Ayumi

It may sound odd, but I am always a fan of Ayumi Hamasaki (濱崎步).

It all began with my brother. When he lived with me 10 years ago, he had a collection of the albums from this Japanese singer, who was already a megastar that time. Strange enough, we both did not know Japanese. More strange is that we both were so attached to her music. Of course, we did not know the lyrics.

You might say, well, because the melody is attractive that we loved her songs. But technically the singer did not have a wide vocal range, compared with the contemporary singers that time. The composition of the songs might play a role, as you know there are so many re-mix versions of her songs, which are released as albums as well! (I suppose she did break the record to make few albums from few songs with various remix versions, and almost all of these albums are commercial successes that time.)

When I look back today, as I listen to her songs again and again recently, I realize that it is the emotion that inspire the generation of my time. Seemingly it is very difficult hard to comprehend, but this is the power of music, which is itself a language for communication. How often the people who listen to the Italian Opera will know the lyrics? People just appreciate it and love it anyway.

I am glad that I process the power to appreciate music, which has been my third language for so many years, making me cry and smile all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment